Thursday, September 9, 2010

Now That I'm a Little More Settled...

It's been a while, blog-readers.  Sorry I kind of dropped off the face of the earth (and I know you were all so worried), but now I'm a little more settled in, and so I figured I'd give you all the weekly update!

So last I wrote, I had just started my internship.  I'm working 3ish days a week at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, which is a progressive polling research firm.  It's actually not at all what I anticipated doing while in DC, and it sounds a little dry, but I'm actually learning a lot and getting a lot of substantive work (although, as I write this, I'm sitting at the front desk of the office answering phone calls) (poorly, I might add, despite my CB training).  Most I do news clips, which is essentially me reading a lot of articles about our clients (different congressional campaigns across the country) and writing summaries of them. There are a lot of interns here, so it's a really cool place to work.

Anyway, this is me at work.  I'm so excited! :


But after the my first work week, I actually had a really nice weekend being a non-tourist tourist.  I went down to Georgetown to visit my friend Nick on Friday, got a little lost trying to get there (Georgetown isn't exactly Metro accessible, since they think they're way too important to be accessible), and ultimately ended up taking a cab to Nick's apartment from where I got off the bus.  It was actually pretty beautiful, I completely understand why it's such a fancy place to live. Plus the campus is really gorgeous, which I knew from when I thought it was the optimal college for me.

So when I was there, I saw this kid:

And happened to run into this kid:


Anyway, all in all, I had a really good time. I like those kids, and I met a lot of really nice people, it ended up being kind of a cool night.  Especially since before I had my Georgetown plans, I was supposed to go to this shmancy party at the Costa Rican embassy with my awesome scavenger hunt team (that was the prize we won), but I didn't make it on time, and I missed it.  Womp womp. Anyway, so that was fun.

Saturday, I actually didn't do very much of anything.  But Sunday I went with my roommate to the American Art Museum off the mall.  We went through the "Modernism Through Impressionism" gallery, saw some German sketch artists, it was kinda cool.  I'd like to spend some more time there, we kind of rushed through, which honestly had a lot to do with the fact that I really had to pee, but they had a lot of really interesting and beautiful pieces there, and I'd like to look around more.  After that, we were hungry and poor, so we walked to Chinatown to get pizza (lolz) and then wandered around the downtown area for a couple hours.


This is the entryway to Chinatown, it's pretty cool. Across the street from this sign, however, is a Starbucks and a McDonalds.  Typical.

So later in the evening, our family friend David comes and picks me up, and we drive to National Harbor.  BEAUTIFUL. Plus, getting a ride in a city where you don't drive is the best, and I got sort of a driving tour of DC.  At night, since all the monuments and buildings are well-lit, you can see everything so clearly, and it's kind of amazing to see.  Driving down the bridge (I'm vague because I don't know what bridge), you can see across to Arlington Cemetary and the Eternal Flame for JFK.  Eventually, we got to National Harbor and kind of looked around for a bit.  There's a really gorgeous view, but actually I think the most interesting part was this sculpture called "The Awakening" that was hidden in the sand.  Or rather, not really hidden, but protruding from the sand:


                               
So we leave, realize we're STARVING, and go in search of food.  Unfortunately, Sunday nights are a no-go for doing anything past 10PM.  BUT, because David is so much like my dad, he got someone to open up their restaurant after closing, so we got take-out Thai food, went back to their house, and watched 3 episodes of True Blood before I passed out.

This was pretty much the extent of my weekend.  Our speakers this week were really cool, but that might be subject for a different post.  Get excited, it was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment