Friday, September 3, 2010

Some bitching (only a little) (okay a lot, sorry)

 Today was an internship day, so I was working.  It's interesting being an almost working adult, I get up in the morning, take the subway (and because I always have to go at peak hours it always costs me $3) to Union Station, and get off.

This is the story of this day.

Get up.

Except, more like....


                       

Cried about it a little, got dressed, brushed my teeth, walked out the door.  My roommate is still sleeping, so I walk out the door hating her.  I walk to the subway, the escalator is still out going down, so I walk down the stairs, pay, and get on  (this is going to be in so much detail to aesthetically offset all the Google-imaged pictures that are going to show the day's misfortunes, which are actually not that unfortunate because today wasn't even that bad, I'm just exhausted).  Obviously, there is no seat because it's the morning, and people who get on farther away are totally entitled to them.  Finally get a seat at Farragut North.  I was so happy to get my seat that I zoned out entirely, and thus missed my stop.  


                        

I realize only after the doors shut at Union Station though, so it's no big.  Get off at the next one, wait to turn around.  End up getting to work within the acceptable morning time frame.  Today, however, nobody is out sick (there's not enough room for all the interns in the office), so I have to sit at an abandoned table far away from the other interns.  Nobody looks for me all day. 


                        

Whatever, I do what I want. 

So Sumia emails and asks if I will take a production assignment (i.e. making copies and occasionally binding them together in books), so I go to the copy room and struggle with the printers there for an hour.  Roughly about this time, I learn more about how to do clips (which are news summaries of candidates we work with or other clients), so I start attempting to do mine.  I do this for maybe an hour, and then it's roughly lunch time, so I decide it's probably about time to feed myself.  I walk up to Union Station, figuring there will probably be lots of people and food there.  As I walk into Union Station, I see a group of 5 or 6 people wearing Chipotle T-shirts, and realize that I NEED IT.  


                         

I need like a crack addict needs.  All of a sudden I am FIENDING for a burrito.  Based on my encounter with the Chipotle T-shirt wearers, I decide there must be one in Union Station, so I go in frantic search of a map.  I finally figure out that the food court is downstairs, walk all the way through it, but there is no Chipotle.  Undeterred, I walk back through Union Station, thinking it must be somewhere.  I finally find a MAP!  and see on it that there is, in fact, a Chipotle on the premises.  All my work was all for a cause, I feel great.  I walk around the building more trying to orient myself so I can find the Chipotle, but I find that in fact, the Chipotle is "coming soon," and there is no burrito to be had. 

Completely dejected, I wander to Corner Bakery (which is not a corner bakery, but instead a fairly large chain corporation), and buy a Chicken Pesto sandwich.  There is very little pesto in it.  


                   

Whatever, so I go back to work, do my clips, and sit in pretty stagnant silence.  Apparently Friday is beer day, so they bought beer for the whole office.  I got this job from a friend of my dad's, so it's well established that I am one of only two people in the whole office under 21.  I drink 4 cups of water and pout some more. 

At 5:30, I'm really trying to finish, but I'm just too tired.  People are playing Guitar Hero in the conference room, which is cool, but I don't really know anyone so I just leave. This is cool, I grab the subway, go home.  There is a seat for me, funny enough, starting at Farragut North. I get back to school, ride the working up escalator up to the road, and walk home.  I swipe in (my card gets rejected twice, but works the third time), and get to the crossroads.  I have to get to the fourth floor: should I take the stairs, or take the elevator?  


             

I feel as if my day (which is not actually that bad) merits some laziness, and I should take the elevator.  But as soon as I get as far as the stairs, I feel this weird rush of energy.  Fuck you, day, you can't get me down.  You're not going to have me crawling on my hands and knees to the elevator.  Cain't nobady make me do nuffin I don' wanna do.  Suck it world, I'm taking the fucking stairs. 

And I do. 

2 comments:

  1. So I really am a stalker.... but this was hilarious. Good for you girl, taking the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolz x infinity. miss you! you should probably have a blog forever. and it totally puts mine to shame.

    ReplyDelete